The VtSBDC Disaster Recovery Guide for Business
The Guide was produced by the VtSBDC Staff in response to the day to day challenges that were faced by the businesses we advised in the days, weeks and months following Tropical Storm Irene. This is the Guide we wished we had had in our hands the day after the storm.
We learned that the businesses that we dealt with, regardless of their size or sustainability, were all hit hard by the enormity of the task before them and we wanted to give future businesses and the advisors/officials who will deal with them a thoughtful and comprehensive roadmap. We also know it is not a simple or brief process...recovery takes months, years.
Therefore the VtSBDC DRG for Businesses includes:
- A bound 72-page guide that directs the business owner thru the steps necessary to make solid and informed decisions about their post-disaster recovery.
- A series of worksheets that provide checklists and data collection sheets to gather all the information they need to make informed decisions.
The information in this guide can be used in the aftermath of any disaster (whether one suffered by an individual business or in the aftermath of a large natural disaster).
A grant financed the development of this guide. As a partner we wanted you to have one. We are "stockpiling" the DRG in each of our offices for immediate use in the case of another disaster.
Options for your use of the VtSBDC DRG for Business (if you have interest and find it appropriate) are as follows:
- You can download a pdf of the VtSBDC DRG for Business by clicking here.
- We can provide you with printed copies of the VtSBDC DRG for Business. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for a price list
Additionally we created:
The Advisor Notebook version of the VtSBDC DRG for Businesses. It includes:
- The DRG broken into sections with specific instructions for the advisor (or any mentor or official helping an individual business owner) to use while directing a business owner thru the process. This section has our "hard won" insight into the post-disaster process.
Options for your use of the Advisor Notebook of the VtSBDC DRG for Business (this is appropriate if you have outreach staff who would be assisting businesses in future disasters) are as follows:
- Staff training (click here to start the discussion).
- Buy a hard copy version of the Advisor Notebook. Please e-mail email@example.com for a price list.
We believe that use of this guide with businesses will make the next recovery if not easier, then at least more organized, informed and successful. We are dedicated to small businesses thriving...thank you for all that you do for Vermont's entrepreneurs.