Vermont Small Business Development Center (VtSBDC), knows from experience that successful start-ups need much more than luck. You can count on us to guide you from dreaming to doing.
If you’d like to learn more about starting your own business, here are some ways to get started:
1. Educate yourself on what it takes to start a business in Vermont. Take our half-day workshop titled “Starting Your Own Business” workshop. If you have never owned a business before, this is a great place to start.
- Experience of instructor/advisor
- Real world examples of start-up successes (and failures)
- Tips/Resources, etc.
- Navigating next steps in the right sequence
- Facilitate group interaction – and connections to each other
View Starting Your Own Business Workshops
2. Use the Business Model Canvas – to help you visualize the important building blocks of any business including trade-offs based on your choices.
Download Business Model Canvas
3. Is my idea viable-does it have legs? VtSBDC has developed a helpful one-page guide called Does It Have Legs to help you make that initial assessment.
Download Does It Have Legs
4. Begin writing your Business Plan
Download Business Plan template
5. Request Advising – By clicking the “request advising” button on the right of this page, you can tell us about your business idea and a member of our team will follow up soon by e-mail with next steps and the best point of contact to help you achieve them!
6. If you are Buying an Existing Business – we can help. Click on the Find Your Advisor button on this page to get connected directly to the advisor who serves your region of VT.
7. Read about other small business owners and their successes working with VtSBDC.
Read Success Stories
We’d like you to be our next success story!