In February, we hosted a webinar with Vermont Law School on Small Business Bankruptcy and Reorganization. The goal of this webinar was to clarify the available options, demystify the legal process and destigmatize common misconceptions about bankruptcy. One question that was frequently asked during this webinar was, “How should I prepare for a consultation about securing my financial future?” We’re here to help answer that question for you.
Give the lawyer you want to work with an idea of who you are, what your business does, and what is currently happening within the business that is causing you to consider bankruptcy. You may include pieces from your business plan in order to provide a description of your services.
Organizational Documents (if applicable)
- Operating Agreement
- Profit and Loss Statements
- Six months of Employee records+Paystubs
- Tax Returns for the prior two years
- Mortgage/Lease/Car Loans
- Vehicle Car Calculation
- List of Real Property Valuations
- Current Credit Reports
- Credit Card, Collections, Bills, etc
- Outstanding Invoices
- Investment/Retirement Statements
If you would like to better understand these financial terms and documents, check out our new financial series Know Your Number$.
Being able to discuss these topics with the lawyer will be critical.
This checklist will help create an outline of what to prepare before your first meeting with a lawyer. All of these together create a snapshot of both who you are and your business purpose, the health or stability of the organization and outstanding financial obligations.
Looking for more? Check out our resources page or reach out to your regional advisor!
Recommended Next Read
- Longtime Auto Technician Opens Repair Shop in Montpelier2 minute read By Amanda Kuhnert When the timing belt blew on his first car, then 16-year-old Dylan Partridge knew he had to learn a few things about auto repair. He fixed the timing belt and started apprenticing at a repair shop near his home in Connecticut. This was the beginning of a lifelong passion for automotive troubleshooting. […]
Home | Client Features | Tips & Tools | Announcements | Timely Topics